Re: miraphone 1290

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on December 23, 1999 at 15:00:06:

In Reply to: miraphone 1290 posted by steve dedman on December 23, 1999 at 00:29:56:

I purchased one about 2 years ago and love it. It is or is almost a 5/4 horn. It is much bigger than a 186 or 188. The sound is also considerably darker and much harder to overblow than a 188 or even 190 (Kaiser). It does not cut as well as the 188, because of the darkness, though. It is more 'American' in sound and playing characteristics than any other Mirafone. For the money, I think it is a great horn. I would have had to spend another 3-4K before I found another horn I liked more. A deep helleberg style mouthpiece like the Arnold Jacobs (or better yet the Warburton Neilan) works best on it. I also had some custom work done on mine. The intonation on mine was good, but I tested one that wasn't (a dent in the leadpipe may have had something to do with that, though) I purchased mine for medium to large ensemble playing. I wouldn't recommend it for quintet or solos, but I have played the Gregson on it. I'll leave those to my 3/4 F.Email me if you want more info.

Marty Neilan

Follow Ups: