Re: M. Weston 2000 tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 22, 1999 at 21:25:19:

In Reply to: M. Weston 2000 tubas posted by Matt Walters on December 22, 1999 at 19:42:29:

All of those add-ons and changes sound like nice conveniences and fun, but how is the pitch on the G, Gb, F, E, and Eb at the bottom of the staff?

Those very saggy notes on the (admittedly only) two 2155's that I have played unfortunately disqualified its consideration for me. The HB 4/4 has a very saggy Eb (one note, rather than five), but I just don't think that I would have the energy to deal with five notes (almost an entire chromatic of an overtone) in a row, like the two 2155's that I have played. On the other hand, the 2155 DOES sound nice and does NOT cost $14,000 in America.

I will agree that we are really lucky to have all of these choices. I couldn't imagine having the drive, acquiring the skills, and maintaining the required ego to go into the tuba production business. I always do, however, hope that 4/4 tubas with the higher prices sound at least as pretty and play at least as well in tune as a Conn 14K brass sousaphone. (This is a genuine, and NOT a "smart-eleck" comment. I believe that a concert 4/4 tuba in CC with the sound and intonation of a Conn 14K BBb sousaphone, if it existed, would quickly be known as the world's best tuba.)

Matt, I'm NOT at all flaming the 2155's, I'm just hopeful for more of the types of improvements in them, that I would like to see, in the new "2000" version.

Follow Ups: