Re: Majoring in Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by shadowfax on December 22, 1999 at 19:55:25:

In Reply to: Majoring in Music posted by J on December 22, 1999 at 03:15:19:

I minored in music, and knew several people who majored in it. . . you're right about having to either go 5 years or take a heavier load than non-music students. And you'r eright about the stingy credits offered. . .It always somewhat irritated me that I only got 1 credit for concert band, but had to rehearse 3 times a week for an hour & 45 minutes per rehearsal. . . Not that I minded playing, but if they're gonna require over 4 hours/week of class time, giving me one credit-hour for it doesn't exactly seem fair.

The music majors had a LOT less free time than the other-majors - - -they spent a TON of time practicing when they weren't in band/lessons/music theory classes.

On the other hand, I'd personally rather play my euph than do physics or write history papers, so it's all a matter of perspective.

If your school's music program is any good, then being a music major won't be easy, but will be very rewarding. And it's not impossible -- heck, my girlfriend double-majored in music (flute performance) AND business management, took 5 years, and graduated with a 4.0, so it's not like you have to be incredibly superhuman to get through it.

Follow Ups: