Re: Hot tubas on MID-WEST conference?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRTapes on December 20, 1999 at 11:19:06:

In Reply to: Hot tubas on MID-WEST conference? posted by AT on December 17, 1999 at 00:40:48:

I had the opportunity to sneak into the exhibitors area after work one day last week. My time was limited, and this was a new experience for me, but I can tell you what I saw.

First, the Weril tuba was there, and I had just a few minutes to try it out. I must say, I'm a Yamaha fan, and I thought this horn was pretty good. Exactly as Joe S described, and at the price they're asking, for a beginner in band, or a late bloomer, or someone who just wants a small horn, check it out. The price vs. satisfaction is high on this horn. I did manage to get the first valve stuck, but after three days of abuse, I wasn't exactly suprised. I talked to Joe S, and I think it's possible I didn't get the valve seated right after we took it out to oil it.

Second, all of of the major firms were there. For those looking for a tuba in the future, don't overlook the opportunity to come to Chicago and try out horns. Being able to see all of the brands side by side is a stunning visual display, even without playing them.
I didn't attend the conference, and I was able to sneak in, so think about it down the road.

Third, I think people should be aware that the man from the Tuba Exchange is a persuasive talker. I stopped to look at the St. Pete, and had a hard time getting away, even though I wasn't buying. I've been to South Bend and met with Charlie, I've emailed with Matt at Dillon, and Dave at Baltimore Brass, and I've talked to Tuba Exchange on the phone and now in person. Tuba Exchange to me is by far the most persuasive talker, and new buyers should be aware of this, as you might get steered into something you didn't intend.

Lastly, I saw and heard a beautiful satin silver horn under the UMI banner, and I believe it was a Conn. The man playing it made it sound great, and it was nice to look at. If anyone else saw it or had a chance to look at it, I'd like an impression. It was already 5:45 when I found it and the hall closed at six, so I didn't have a chance to try it.

Follow Ups: