Re: Re: Horn Colors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on December 19, 1999 at 03:15:13:

In Reply to: Re: Horn Colors posted by Dale Phelps on December 18, 1999 at 04:01:31:

Dale,
I once met Tony when I went to pick out my first Mirafone in about 1980 and he graciously allowed me to stay at his home while in CA. From his postings he seems a very giving person who sincerely enjoys helping others, which I experienced first hand as a stranger. Another thing I pick up from his posts is he is secure enough to deal with silly people. He had to know (or possibly realized in hindsight) that his remarks about his various horns would bring out some of the nonsense responses. This is well known as the cost of doing business on this BBS, and I doubt it will curtail Tony from participating in the future. Tony is a man, not afraid of putting his name to his posts. As a pro, he is also a target for many "wanna be's" who would rather tear down those who do than become one who does (the latter taking hard work, effort, years of preparation, and risk, while the former takes just an additude).

As for horn finishes, I still believe the only real difference a finish makes to a horn's playability is where the hands come into contact with the horn (lacquer worn or silver tarnished). There are simply too many variables to compare horns of differing finshes (Matts post regarding the horn makes a great point, and I have to wonder if the human ear is capable of discerning the subtle differences in the range effected).

Follow Ups: