Re: Old Conns vs new large BBb Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on December 16, 1999 at 01:20:56:

In Reply to: Old Conns vs new large BBb Tubas posted by Graham Smith on December 15, 1999 at 23:39:26:

The price of the Conn 25J that I am selling has been reduced in price.

This large bore BBb horn, built in 1965, has 4 short-stroke valves, detachable 24" upright bell, and 3 water keys. Corks have been replaced recently. The horn has some lacquer wear and some dings, but no major dents; it is in excellent playing condition. It was played professionally, in lessons with Rex Martin and Sam Pilafian, and in a Master Class with Arnold Jacobs. I would rather not sell the horn, because it is A LOT of fun to play. But I need the money to help pay for a CC horn that I just purchased.

Here is what Tubaeuph subscribers and TubeNet BBS readers have written about this model (sources identified upon request): "Yes, those big Conn 2XJ series horns spoke very easily and played well and were often outstanding instruments." "Professionals still use the classic American BBbs from York, Conn, King and Holton when they can find good 4 & 5 valve versions, and these horns command substantial
premiums in the market." "Conn in its various forms was one of America's premier instrument makers from the 1880's through at least the late 1960's. Some of them were excellent tubas...and a really bad one was rare." "What I recall most was that the big horn took very little effort to play. In fact, it took far less effort than my baby Olds O-99 .... Other than the fact that it was *big*, it didn't require the kind of exertions I thought it would." "I would look hard at one of the used items from the heavy duty American instrument makers like C.G Conn..." "This 6/4 size tuba...is truly
a joy to play." 

The price, $2300, includes a new custom Altieri Model 01 "Pro Tuba" gig bag. The tuba is located in the Chicago area.

Please contact me with your questions. (847) 382-1502

Thank you very much!

Follow Ups: