Re: Re: St. Petersburg Tubas---What Do You Know?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T on December 10, 1999 at 22:50:47:

In Reply to: Re: St. Petersburg Tubas---What Do You Know? posted by Jim on December 10, 1999 at 21:35:46:

I have looked at the "Die Tuba" site, and I think that I would feel more comfortable purchasing a St. Petersburg from the Tuba Exchange. Too many things can go wrong when dealing overseas, but that isn't to say that they don't have excellent prices on their tubas, or that they don't have any happy customers.

Another reason that I would rather buy from TE is the fact that the tuba would not require a complete rebuild surronding the valve system (from what I understand TE has already taken care of this).

I am a young tuba player, but college is in my immediate future, and I would like a solid BBb tuba that I can finish High School (the end is near!) on and use in college during my study of "applied tuba and euphonium" as they call it. I want a BBb because I don't see the need to learn a whole extra set of fingerings just because your tuba plays Eb, F, or C, as their "open note." A BBb has just as good of a range and can play all of the same material with success. I learned tuba on a BBb, and it would be very hard for me to adjust after several years of BBb tuba.

Cost is a major factor, and I can't determine from the mix of horror stories and high praises about the St. Petersburg if it would be the tuba for me. In other words, a lot of people love them and a lot of people hate them, and I don't know who is telling it like it is!

Thanks,

Tom

Follow Ups: