Weril 3/4 4-piston BBb review

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on December 09, 1999 at 23:52:55:

I indicated earlier that I would be receiving some very reasonably priced Weril (Brazilian-made)tubas with 4 pistons. First, I stated, I would receive a BBb and then a CC. Weril is the company which, for many years, has made all of the D.E.G. Dynasty marching instruments. Lately, instruments are appearing with their own "Weril" name on them with more frequency. In addition, their manufacturing processes have improved right up to industry standards. I had already received Weril's (LOW PRICED) 4-piston euphonium which in my opinion is a complete copy of the Yahaha YEP-321, and people are buying the Weril euphoniums as "impulse" purchases (because of the price) instead of "thinking about it" for a day or two. In my opinion, by their pricing, Weril has made the Yamaha 321 euphonium obsolete.

As to the 3/4 size Weril TUBAS: They are also a Yamaha copy, in my opinion. I have just received the BBb, and it is a nice little tuba, again particularly if you like the 4-piston BBb Yamaha 3/4, because the Weril bell and branches are virtually identical to the 3/4 Yamaha. HOWEVER, there is a significant difference: Rather than the irregular-looking valveset that appears on the Yamaha, the Weril has a very traditional "American"-looking (Conn-like) front-action valveset. Also, the Weril pistons are nickel plated, rather than being made of that Monel-like stuff (that often picks up brass oxide from the valve casings). The valve action on the Weril that I just received is butter smooth (I still haven't oiled the valves.) and the piston-to-casing tolerances are very acceptable. By this, I mean that they fit about like U.S.-made tubas.

There are several pull rings on the slides. The first valve has BOTH an upper slide and a lower slide, and both have pull rings. I suggested today to Dan at D.E.G. that he request that the upper #1 slide be made a couple of inches longer, and that the #1 lower slide be made a couple of inches shorter. This would allow enough left hand pull range for a decent 1&4 low EEb. There is also a pull ring on the #2 slide, which is a nice feature on a four valve (as opposed to five valve) tuba, because it allows the player to reach down, again with the left hand, and repair the pitch on 2&4 combinations on notes that "matter" enough to make that effort. Although the alignment of the upper #1 and #2 slides is VERY good, I suggested to Dan that Weril increase the price of the instrument by just a hair and make the alignment of those slides PERFECT for absolutely worry-free tuning pulls without having to retain the services of a repair guy to "doctor-up" those slides. He argued back at me that, in this price range, nearly all of these BBb tubas would be going to schools and with the tubas resting on their bells, those slides would end up falling on the floor a lot with "perfect" alignment. He has a point.

Just for the record, the bore size of this instrument is .670" and the bell has a 14 1/2" diameter.

As a summary, I would say that if you like the Yamaha 3/4 four piston BBb, you'll like this acoustical replica of it, and you will find the price of the Weril far more accessable than the instrument it replicates. It was supplied with a small Bach-copy #25 mouthpiece (oh well).

In a couple of weeks, when the CC comes in, I will report on it. Obviously, that one holds a lot more interest for some.

Follow Ups: