Re: cheapness

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff C. on December 08, 1999 at 04:18:59:

In Reply to: cheapness posted by Steve on December 05, 1999 at 23:03:32:

So what? Hey, in this modern world business is business, stupid people will buy stupid instruments at stupid places! What really matters is where can the really fine instruments be found?: at the factory?, at the shipping/receiving guys house?, at some tuba professors studio?, in Joe Smith's garage? Who really has the top notch of the top notch instruments,???? hard to say! Buying a tuba is not like buying a pennywhistle; insofar as most people don't have access to a large number of tubas to try out before they buy, and most people don't really have the expertise to tell the difference to tell the difference between an okay tuba and an excellent one; which I think accounts for the "Wal Mart" mentality.

Sales and service is so much, yada, yada, yada, as far as I'm concnerned! Being able to get your hands on a first rate tuba is a combination of talent and luck as I see it. The longer you stay in the game, and/or the more talent you have at such things plays a major role in acquiring a first rate instrument. I believe that since tubas are a relatively expensive item, that the humane greed factor enters in at many different levels when the purchase, or sale of such is considered. I think that although this is not always the case; one should be aware that this is probably the case and proceed from there.

I think the best way to go is this; play on whatever is available, or whatever you happen to own, develop your own personal musianship and interpersonal skills, talk to a lot of tuba players, teachers, and other musicians, become the best musician/player that you possibly can and then purchase what your conscience dictates. I think that if a person shops around they will be able to get similar prices from different vendors, but the trick is to develop your own personal ability to tell what instrument is best for you and your playing circumstances, and not listen too much to what the zeitgeist is promoting.

Ciao,

Jeff Chronister

Follow Ups: