Re: Re: Re: Compensating / Vented

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on December 05, 1999 at 09:24:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Compensating / Vented posted by Jared on December 05, 1999 at 00:37:45:

Hi Jared,
Venting a piston valve does not create an air leak. If your horn has a few years on it, take out a piston valve and look at it. See that faint, round ring outline that is on the same plane as the lowest port? I call that the phantom hole. That is where we typically vent a valve. The fact that it forms that corrosion ring, shows you where the casing port matches the valve when it is in the UP position. Therefore a hole in the center of that point, will let air from slide manipulation enter the inside of the valve and go out through the hole in the bottom. Tight seal in a valve is only required through the ports and immediately around the openings of the valve. And then, only when air is going through that section.
Rotors work under the same priniple. But with those, you have to drill through the casing. To any fellow repairmen out there, I have come to the opinion that drilling closer to the top or bottom is a better way to maintain a seal. think about the shape of a rotor valve and let me know what you think. Hope that helps. Matt

Follow Ups: