Re: Multiple Mouthpiece Users

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 29, 1998 at 14:49:53:

In Reply to: Multiple Mouthpiece Users posted by Tom on December 29, 1998 at 10:46:52:

I guess I would fall into the category of owning several mouthpieces but generally using only one per tuba. My approach is to find the right mouthpiece match for a given instrument. Then I make sure I am comfortable with the mouthpiece. Once that is established, I tend to use the same mouthpiece on that particular horn until something better comes along. By the way, I do this with every one of my instruments. I've heard of guys switching mouthpieces in the middle of pieces, but usually this is a player who uses one tuba for all his/her playing. I try not to do this so as to keep as consistent a sound as possible. If I want a different sound, I'll generally use a different tuba. If I could give you any advice, I would say that you should try every mouthpiece you can and not stop trying them. New technology and new ideas are constantly changing the tools we have to work with. Why not have the best? My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: