Re: What is essential daily?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on December 16, 1998 at 23:04:55:

In Reply to: What is essential daily? posted by Sean Chisham on December 16, 1998 at 10:38:34:

Concerning daily warm-ups, I believe that there are both the mental and physical aspects of preparing to play. I've found that when I have a limited time to prepare to play, flexibility exercises and my scales routine get me there reliably. The lip slur exercise, which works through all valve combinations and open intervals helps my flexibility and endurance. I like to follow that with playing all scales, major and minor. This seems to address the mental as well as physical side of warming up. At present, I can accomplish this in about 14 minutes and be ready to start playing on a daily basis. When possible, I then follow with Tyrell studies, then as time allows, solos, band parts, orchestral excerpts, Kopprasch and Rochut exercises. When doubling on other brass instruments, it seems that doing the 15 minute tuba warmup even when I won't be playing tuba that day really helps maintain consistent tuba chops.

Follow Ups: