Re: Yamaha F compared to B&S F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Bryce on December 12, 1998 at 11:36:08:

In Reply to: Yamaha F compared to B&S F posted by Michael Sanders on December 11, 1998 at 15:00:23:

I own a PT15 and I love it. If I had to describe the sound I would say "character" It just has a lot of character. I use it as my primary horn in quintet, it has no problem balancing a group of that size. The low range, WITH SOME WORK, is very powerfull. Most of the f-tuba parts we play other than solos are so high that I think we just don't spend the time down there that is neccesary, and if you're like me you do all your "saw sharpening" on you big horn. I've used it in a large orchestra on both damnation and symphony fantastic and it came through huge, balancing nicely the monster bass trombonist we had last year. Now of course I am biased, but the yamaha f tubas that I have heard sound like small CC tubas(with fat low ranges). I've heard pros do both the Gregson and the Vaughan Williams on yamaha fs, and I got the same impression. They have a very good generic sound. The same pro who played it on the Vaughan Williams(with orchestra), sold his and bought a PT10. Which he loves and wouldn't sell, but was telling me last night that he wants his yamaha back too. Both are great horns. Hope this biased entry helps.

Follow Ups: