Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mirafone Eb vs Besson Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on December 11, 1998 at 12:59:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mirafone Eb vs Besson Eb posted by Jay Bertolet on December 11, 1998 at 09:43:09:

Great comments Jay! I especially like the idea of playing the same literature on more than one horn. A concept that has helped me a lot of late when switching between instruments is resonance. No matter which horn I'm playing I want it to resonate and project to the back of the audience. I would argue that even a dark sound should have a ring to it and that as long as I play with that in mind it is impossible to play 'wrong.' I think of my instrument kind of like a bell.. when I'm playing it correctly it is ringing and giving my sound color so that it is interesting to listen to. As long as I keep this constant between different instrument/mp combinations I know that I'm playing with the best sound possible and the timbre in every other respect can change as much as it likes. Part of the reason for switching instruments is to change our sound so I see nothing wrong with having a different sound on different horns. If I want to move around within the timbrel possiblities of a given horn I will try different
mouthpieces. Regarding using one mp for all your playing.. I can see times when that would make sense if you use a middle of the road mouthpiece and that would most likely give you very similar sounds on different equipment but I play on a PT-88 and while it works great on my CC it creates a little bit too much of the tubby the tuba effect for my tastes on an F.
Thoughts? Commentary? Hopefully I've made some degree of sense and conveyed atleast one intelligable thought. Sleep is a precious commodity at the moment.
Cheers!
joseph

Follow Ups: