Re: Re: Hirsbrunner Grand Orchestral Model

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Sanders on December 10, 1998 at 10:32:35:

In Reply to: Re: Hirsbrunner Grand Orchestral Model posted by Roger Lewis on December 06, 1998 at 10:38:17:

This is my first contribution to the TubaNet since getting online last month. But I do have a great deal of experience with
the Hirsbrunner "Grand Orchestral Model", ie. Yorkbrunner. I have been using mine as my primary instrument since I
bought it from Peter in 1984. I've played it in the orchestras in San Antonio, Utah, and since 1991 here in St. Louis. I
have tried all other serious orchestral tubas (some excellent instruments) and nothing works as well in our hall or is
as easy play. And I can easily understand the success that Roger Lewis has experienced since getting his Yorkbrunner.
However, contrary to Mr. Lewis' discription, the sound of the good Yorkbrunners I'm acquainted with is very rich in
overtones. This is what makes these instruments so efficient in the hands of a good player. A lack of overtones in a sound
would leave you with a very dull tone indeed, and wouldn't project your sound out of the "back row". I use several mouth-
pieces regularly to get different qualities and colors, ranging from a PT88 for most work down to a PT70 or PT65 when
I need to play with a brighter or lighter tone. This idea comes from Arnold Jacobs. It makes things go easy and keeps life
interresting.

Follow Ups: