Re: Re: Re: false tones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken on December 04, 1998 at 11:23:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: false tones posted by Greg Kling on December 04, 1998 at 01:05:27:

I love the "undertone series" on my trombone. At solo and ensemble a few years ago, (back in my high school days) I played a piece with a pedal D using the false tone because I couldn't get the schools horn with an F attachment. The judge was shocked and impressed at the same time. They are harder on tuba and euphonium, but do have their use when the horn "limits" your playable range. Try betting the pedal Cb in tune without using false tones on a non comp euphonium...It doesn't work.

They work because you are modifying the center of the overtone series of the horn. When you get higher up in the range of the horn, the notes can all be fingered in open positions. The valves just help out down in the lower range getting the pitch in tune. It everything can be played in almost any combination up high, then why not down low? The only thing preventing it is the over all length of the horn and your mouthpiece and chops. Don't baroque trumpets without valves play nearly every note just by lipping it to the right place? This implies a great deal of flexibility in the hornd we play. false tones just seem to be a natural extension of that inherent flexibility.

-=ken

(I love getting looks for playing stuff down on my lowsome student model Bundy tenor t-bone. )

A rookie freaking out the veterans in basketball band....

Follow Ups: