Re: Re: This Hertz

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on September 01, 2003 at 14:29:34:

In Reply to: Re: This Hertz posted by Lee Stofer on September 01, 2003 at 10:37:24:

And as I dimly recall, the reason for the extra low keys on a Boesendorfer Imperial (which are all black, by the way, even the normally white keys)was that Busoni wanted them added for his transcriptions of Bach organ works and Boesendorfer obliged him

I'm not sure what they really accomplish for most music, but when my pianist wife was looking for a new piano we considerd the big Boesendorfer and we went to the distributor and she played one quite a while. The low end of the piano was very full and sweet, much more so than other pianos. But the high end was so-so in her opinion, not much different than most and she didn't really like the "balance" of the piano that much for the repertoire she concentrates in. She wound up with another "household name" piano (joke), a smaller Bechstein grand from Berlin. Very clear and light and easy speaking even at PP right across the range.

Tuba related content: Maybe the biggest and baddest BA instrument isn't right for everything. And it took her almost two years of diligent searching and several airplane tickets to find the instrument that was right for her. And she never tried to find a pianist's bulletin board, just lots of consultation with her former teacher. And she's loved that piano (more than me?) for more than ten years now.

Follow Ups: