Re: tuba info

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 31, 2003 at 23:20:44:

In Reply to: tuba info posted by Norm on August 31, 2003 at 22:51:22:

More than likely it is probably a MW32. These used to come with a convertable flat whole step to 2-3 combo. If the bell is approximately 17-3/4" and the inside diameter of the second vavle tubaing approximately 3/4" then you have a MW32.

From what I remember, this was and attempt to make a "Martin Committee" type of tuba where they polled a few famous tub(a)ists and asked what they would want on a tuba and what a general all around tuba's requirements are and they ended up with the Model 32.

If the horn is in relatively good condition (a few small dents, 60-70% of the lacquer intact) then it is worth between (roughly) $3250 and $3750 based on what I have seen them sell for used. The older horns play a bit differently then new ones and the new ones don't have the nifty dual tuning fifth valve.

I own a new MW32 and love it for many reaons. Pretty much one of the best all-around 4/4 cc's out there for the price. Probably second only (IMHO) to the Miraphone 186-CC, but the MW has a more "Alexander" type sound.

The Getzen engraving comes from the fact that Getzen was the sole, and maybe still is, importer for MW tubas.

I'm glad you enjoy your tuba.

Matt G

Follow Ups: