Re: Re: Need gregson concerto piano part ASAP!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on August 27, 2003 at 23:06:32:

In Reply to: Re: Need gregson concerto piano part ASAP!!! posted by js on August 27, 2003 at 22:11:14:

Please do not misunderstand me on this issue....as most sensible people know by now, there is no excuse in asking for someone to photocopy a piece of music and faxing it to you. It is a copyright violation and against the law. It is an act against the composer and the publisher and, eventually, all those who want to purchase a piece of music but can't because it goes out of print due to lack of purchases. It is stealing.

Also let me say, there are several of retail sheet music outlets that would have this piece in stock and would send it overnight for an incredibly high fee for those who allow themselves to need such a piece of music in such a desperate way. (Though, I do not think Robert King will send anything overnight. They aren't the most customer friendly place in the world. But valuable nonetheless.) "Red Labeling" (what most music stores call overnighting because of the red label used by UPS) a piece of music will cost you from $18.00 to $25.00 over the cost of the music. The mark up over UPS' or FedEx's fee is significant but also covers their having to handle your order. (And put up with your time table.) The last time I purchased the Gregson (I've bought it 3 x's!), it cost me $19.95. That makes this piece around $40.00 to purchase "overnight."

Having written all of this, I do feel a HS student may very well be in a situation where $40.00 is a lot of money for a piece of music. I certainly know for me, it was an incredible amount back then. I don't know the original poster of this thread and certainly don't assume what his finacial situation may be. If he says it is not possible for him to purchase it now, then I will take him at his word. Asking for a photocopy is wrong no matter what is his personal situation is wrong. But I know lots of people helped me when I was young and broke, that is why I said he may borrow my copy for the time being. I do feel he should buy the piece, but if he can't now, then he can borrow my legal copy. I won't and can't do this always, but I feel the need to pass on favors others have done for me.

Just my opinion.

Mark

P.S. Please no emails about wanting to borrow my horn or my car, etc...really, you wouldn't want either one!

Follow Ups: