Possible Concerto Commission Project

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Larry Zaidan on August 26, 2003 at 17:26:57:

Dear List,

I have had the good fortune to work with an excellent composer, named John Lampkin. I have played in the orchestra for the premier of his piano concerto, and have been very impressed by other works of his. I broached the idea with him, of his writing a tuba concerto on commission (I thought to form a consortium, using the same model that James Grant used, very successfully, a few years ago).

John Lampkin's website (listed below) has an example, in the CD section, of his very clever, programmatic, woodwind quintet (each movement expresses characterizes of different insects -- ala Holst's characterizations of the Planets). Some of the pieces from this little suite are a little tongue-in-cheek, but they give you an idea of the musical qualities that he is capable of.

Unfortunately, John has not yet recorded the piano concerto, but I assure you that it is quite wonderful! Please take some time to go to his website, and listen to his music. As you can hear, his musical language is very tonal, and very accessible to audiences. I really think that he could produce a concerto, that would be a marvelous addition to our repertoire!

I am curious to see how many people would be interested (in concept) in participating in such a consortium. I realize that the cost will be a determining factor, but I will wait to see how much interest there is in the idea of the project, then get back to you with the cost (and whether the cost will cover just the solo part, and piano reduction, or if it will also include the orchestra parts). You will also get your name listed in the dedication of the concerto.

Please let me know what you think of this idea!!!

Larry Zaidan

http://www.johnlampkin.com/index.html

Follow Ups: