Re: Silent Brass Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by M.M. Carrasco on August 26, 2003 at 13:29:10:

In Reply to: Silent Brass Question posted by Elective Mute on August 26, 2003 at 07:56:24:

I'm not fond of any sort of mute but if one must be used, the Silent Brass system is the way to go. Though expensive, bulky and heavy it does work and it changes the playing characteristics less than most other practice type mutes. The mute consists of a two piece mute unit that has a telescoping plastic tube that extends into the bell maybe half a meter. The bottom of the mute is chamfered and covered with neoprene to "seal" against the inside of your tuba bell. It works well on both my instruments. There are three elastic clips that secure the mute tightly against the bell, the clips hook under the edges of your bell rim. The electronics package connects to the mute via a small wire that actually screws into place, a very smart idea. The package allows you to input sound from an external source, such as a microphone or a CD player - useful features when practicing excerpts or playing with a friend. The controls allow you to alter the sound output by adding reverb. There is a newer model of the electronics but I've never used it. Word "on the street from Johnny" says that the new package is much improved over the old. The sound dampening qualites to the outside world is quite good. My wife has been known to watch television while I am practicing. The Yamaha is much quieter than the H&B practice mute and its playing qualities are much better.
On the down side: the mute is very heavy and if you have a tuba with a tall bell, it can be especially uncomfortable on your back. I use a playing stand and find this to make extended use acceptable. Also, the mess of wires and the placement of the electronics package can cause logistical nightmares if you're not careful. You really have to take your time placing the mute in the bell and connecting all "the stuff". No sudden moves!

I hope this is helpful to you.....

Moises Carrasco

Follow Ups: