Re: Play-testing "In the Hall"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on August 26, 2003 at 12:05:02:

In Reply to: Play-testing "In the Hall" posted by dp on August 26, 2003 at 09:47:56:

I can't give tuba comments, but I can make horn comments.

My 1st horn plays a Holton Farkas, which is a large-throated silver horn that is quite loud up close. He has a dark tone and plays with a lot of edge.
On 2nd horn, I play a medium-throat brass horn, and I have a bright tone with almost no edge to it. My horn is not all that loud up close, especially compared to his.
Up close, we sound very, very different from each other.

On recordings made at the back of the hall, our sounds are distinguishable but not so radically different as you would expect; I've heard more difference in sound quality on professional orchestra recordings. The most interesting thing is that out in the hall I tend to be quite a bit louder than he is, and I have to consciously hold back in order to not be louder than he is, out in the hall. Up close, it is the opposite, as he appears to be blowing me off my chair (from my point of view, anyway.)

This is why it is a really good idea to play test your instruments in the hall where you perform the most often. Of course with horns it is a section and you need to learn how to blend; with tuba I think you just want to make sure you can be heard, for starters. Very small me with small horn, can be heard much more easily than much larger him with his big horn. Appearances can be deceiving!!

Mary Ann

Follow Ups: