Re: Which pieces have tuba parts?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Preece on August 22, 2003 at 01:09:06:

In Reply to: Which pieces have tuba parts? posted by player on August 21, 2003 at 19:29:36:

I am not sure if there is a source of reference to answer this question, but I really think there should be. Everyone knows that the common strings are apart of the classical repertoire, but in terms of the Tuba, it is usually a different story. Throughout my university career, part of the challenge in the orchestra was finding out if there was a part for me to play... and you would be surprised as to how many conductors are not even sure if the Tuba is included in the orchestration of a particular work. Now, it is common knowledge to most that the Tuba plays an important role in the Mahler symphonies, but not a lot of people are aware that there is NOT a Tuba part for his symphony No. 4. Having said this, I think there should be some sort of a publication with a COMPLETE list of classical repertoire - including the the most recent 20th century works - inlcuding such composers as Revueltas, Creston, Janacek, Harris, and Gliere just to name a few. These works, although not placed in the "standard repertoire" catagory, should be noted as having Tuba parts. I feel that a reference of this caliber would be a vital component to any professional/university musician, or even a curious amateur. I would think that the ITEA would have had this invaluable resource published by now... labelling it "The Tuba Source Book: Volume II" Any comments?

Follow Ups: