Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Galliard Bataglia for brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 19, 2003 at 22:59:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Galliard Bataglia for brass posted by Sorry on August 17, 2003 at 22:09:18:

I've just been too hammered.

I was in Seattle a month ago for a workshop that entailed considerable after-hours work to keep going. That was followed by a committee meeting to sort through the workshop results. During that week was the Great Rick Vs. Dell Clash Of The Titans, which culminated in the Dell Dude personally delivering to me, without the usual 20 questions and hour spent proving my diagnosis correct, a hard disk for my laptop in the lobby of the building across from my hotel in Seattle. I was spending my evenings that week either working, watching the Tour de France (which nearly gave me a heart attack), or backing up 23 gigs of disk image to an external drive through a USB 1.1 port. It was a long week.

Then there was a research meeting in Portland. My wife joined me in Portland and we spent the next 10 days navigating her cousin's Vanagon around C(G) territory (sorry, Chuck, no opportunity for a visit unfortunately), taking in Crater Lake, Mount Rainier, Mount St. Helens, the Columbia River Gorge, and about half the Washington and Oregon coasts. Given that we were sleeping in the VW camper, I only had Internet access once every four or five days, and that was filled downloading (and dealing with) the 400-500 messages that had built up. Gave my new digital camera a workout, but my chops are toast.

Then, last week I was in Minneapolis teaching a class, and this week I'm in Atlanta (now) and Seattle again (tomorrow). I haven't been home on a weekday in five weeks, and won't until the 29th.

I know that I usually keep my priorities straight and do Tubenet before work, but sometimes you have to earn your keep.

As to Battlestar Galactica, I agree with Joe. We have the same arrangement he mentioned, and we pull it out every now and again to remind ourselves why we don't perform it.

And I also agree with the principle behind Joe's advice: Never play a work recorded famously by the Canadian Brass unless you are prepared to compete with their CD. They may have popularized the quintet, but they also set a high standard--too high for the likes 'o me.

Rick "who played a quintet gig last Sunday, surprisingly with no blood loss" Denney

Follow Ups: