Re: Re: Re: Vibrato

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on August 18, 2003 at 22:54:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Vibrato posted by Ken S. on August 18, 2003 at 18:23:55:

Singers and players of many treble wind instruments use a diaphragm vibrato. Essentially, one's wind pressure is varied using the diaphragm muscle. I learned to do it on flute and recorders. For most people (including me), it takes a while to learn. In my opinion, it's a great sounding effect. When I took up tuba again last year after decades off, I found that the vibrato I had learned on other instruments applied immediately to the tuba.

Of course, you can't talk about vibrato without bringing up issues of musical taste. In previous centuries, the vibrato was considered a musical ornament, just as was a trill. I prefer to think of it that way, and not apply vibrato inscessantly. For examply, while playing something slow, I could start a note with pure tone, then gradually add vibrato. I can play some sections with no vibrato, then use a light vibrato for others. For me, the heavy vibrato is more of an occasional ornament. Mainly, I like to have fun with musical contrasts. I hope you do too.

Allen Walker

Follow Ups: