UGA Graduate Assistantship

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Zerkel on August 18, 2003 at 19:23:27:

Hello.

This message is intended for students who are graduating this year or for anyone who may be considering a return to graduate school. I apologize for posting at such an early date, but there is a very early deadline for application and graduate applicants are required to take the GRE.

The Brass Quintet Graduate Assistantship will be open next year at the University of Georgia. The primary duty of the tuba grad ass is to perform in the Bulldog Brass Quintet, which is the graduate quintet at UGA. The quintet is very active (at least 10 hours of rehearsal per week) and is coached by Fred Mills, formerly of the Canadian Brass. Secondary duties of the TA could include teaching overload applied students, assisting with the Tuba-Euph Ensemble, performing in the Georgia Brass (a large brass ensemble conducted by Mr. Mills) and assisting with studio business.

Financially, the assistantship is a pretty good deal. The stipend for 04-05 is likely to be around $9600 for Master's candidates and about $10,500 for Doctoral candidates. There are other graduate assistantships (with even better money) for students who are very well qualified, academically.

If you have any questions about UGA or would like to talk to my current TA, Ian Melrose, please drop me a line. I'd be happy put you in touch with Ian or tell you anything I know that would let you know if UGA might be a good fit for you.

This will likely be the last posting of this information on the BBS, so if you have any questions, don't be shy!

All the best,
Dave Zerkel

Follow Ups: