Re: SYMPHONIC VARIANTS FOR UNDERGRAD AUDIT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Edens on August 17, 2003 at 16:19:13:

In Reply to: SYMPHONIC VARIANTS FOR UNDERGRAD AUDIT posted by R on August 17, 2003 at 11:16:03:

Please don't make the mistake of approaching a college audition like it is some kind of musical "arms race," as if playing the most difficult literature possible will give you a better chance of being accepted or being awarded a scholarship.

It isn't WHAT you play that's most important, it's HOW WELL YOU PLAY IT.

Honestly, don't worry about suggested literature lists, or what the other guy is playing for his audition. Choose a solo that you can make the most music possible with, and that will impress adjuticators far more than even a reasonably good rendition of a more difficult piece.

For my audition at the college I was recently accepted at, I played Capuzzi's Andante and Rondo, which was technically not nearly as difficult as some of the other literature I played in high school (Carnival of Venice, Boccalari's Fantasia di Concerto, Sparke's Pantomime, etc...) but it contains good melodic writing that shows off the soloist's concept of phrasing, solid technical passages, contrasting movements, and many opportunities for good musical expression. The audition panel isn't looking to be "wowed" by a lot of fast notes, they are looking for musicianship, first and foremost.

- John Edens

Follow Ups: