Re: Re: Looking For Tuba For JH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SomethingForEveryone on August 15, 2003 at 20:04:44:

In Reply to: Re: Looking For Tuba For JH posted by Brian on August 15, 2003 at 14:16:03:

Brian has every right to his opinion and his paths, and without a great deal of success - thus validity - I'm sure he would have decided to do something else.

Other bands do quite well with Weril tubas. Every once in a while, any make and model of tuba will crap out, particularly with one, two, or three-in-a-row so-called "A.D.D." kids using them for a couple of school years.

D.E.G. is very generous with the warranty on Weril instruments. They have replaced pistons with worn plating and red-rotted mouthpipes (maintenance problems - no oiling / no cleaning) free of charge YEARS after the warranties were lapsed...and on instruments that were also otherwise badly mistreated.

The Conn 20J (discontinued sometime in the 1960's, I think) is a grand tuba, and an interesting choice for middle school use as the 20J truly is a giant. I wonder how many school bus drivers - or even mommies with their SUV's - would be particularly happy to see a 20J (or two) headed towards them at the end of the school day - week-in and week-out. Brian might have an extra set of 3/4 tubas that are going home for practice regularly whereas the 20J's are staying at the school (??).

Follow Ups: