Re: Mouthpiece experiments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by E-man on August 09, 2003 at 21:13:42:

In Reply to: Mouthpiece experiments posted by MPC Dance on August 09, 2003 at 01:16:26:

Speaking as a chemical engineer, rough surfaces have the most impact on pressure drop and air flow within a laminar flow situation. Now, I have absolutely no idea whether the air flow inside the bowl is laminar. However, the diameter for the stem is so much smaller that the velocity will probably be within the turbulent range. In this case the ratio of the stem diameter to the bowl diameter will probably have more impact on pressure drop and consequently the resistance you feel as you blow into the horn.

My guess is that roughness will have more impact on how comfortable the mouthpiece feels and the resulting impact on your endurance. Overall I would think that shape (including rim diameter and cup depth) along with mass will impact the way your lips vibrate within the mouthpiece. This will have a more important impact on sound, I would think.

But, hey, I have an All-Star BBb mouthpiece from 1968 that my brothers beat the 7734 out of, trying to use it for a hammer, just in case you'd like to try your own experiments.

Follow Ups: