"Reading" Orchestra experience

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by keith C. on August 08, 2003 at 11:54:05:

I've had the opportunity to sit in with a local "Reading" orchestra over the last two weeks. The orchestra is comprised of anyone interested in playing for two hours. Most are accomplished amateurs and conservatory students, plus a very few number recreational players of modest ability, like myself.

The group was lead by an pleasant and enthusiastic music director. He took the group through two full orchestral works over the course of the two hours. We ran through each one at close to full tempo (which usually left me in the dust). Once we got through one piece we moved right on the next one.

Not being an accomplished site reader, I though this might be an opportunity to build up my skills and experience. However, I didn't enjoy the experience at all. I would have much preferred to read the piece once and to go back over it to improve my "batting average" and try to play more of the music. It takes my mature adult brain a little time to coordinate 5 sharps, a BBb horn, the embouchure and the fingers. By the time all the ducks are in a row I'm 4 bars behind. I guess I'm the type who needs to study the music for a bit of time (to pencil in the fingerings).

Anyhow, that's my experience. Anybody else have a positive exerience with reading orchestars or bands?

Follow Ups: