Re: The Best Recordings of the top excerpts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck K. on August 07, 2003 at 16:06:05:

In Reply to: The Best Recordings of the top excerpts posted by Tim I on August 07, 2003 at 11:57:54:

Here's my preferred recordings, listing compared to the tracks on Pokorny's Excerpts CD. Tracks that I haven't listed are not mentioned because I haven't found a preferred recording yet.

Bartok Concerto for Orchestra: Los Angeles Philharmonic, Salonen (Sony: SK 62598)
Berlioz R&J: Chicago Symphony/Giulini (album is excerpts from R&J & Enfance du Christe)
Berlioz Sym Fan: Cleveland Orchestra/Boulez
Bruckner 7: Vienna/Von Karajan
American in Paris: Saint Louis (the older one with Pokorny. there's another one with Perantoni, but I like Pokorny's better. I don't remember the date, I think it's out of print)
Symphonic Metamorphosis: San Francisco/Blomstedt
Planets: Montreal/Dutoit or Chicago/Levine
Mahler 1: Saint Louis/Slatkin (the earlier one)
Mahler 5: New York/Mehta
Prok R&J: San Francisco/Tilson Thomas
Prok 5: Saint Louis/Slatkin
Fountains of Rome: Montreal/Dutoit
Strauss Tone Poems: Berlin/Von Karajan
Ein Faust Ovt: Sony Essential Album with Szell/Ormandy conducting. It's actually the only recording I could find that includes this overture.
Ride of the Valkyries: New York/Mehta

So, these are my current fav's. I know there are many, many recordings that I still have to listen to, so I won't say that these will always be my fav's. But, for now, that's what I recommend. I know they're quality recordings.

flame away, if you so desire.

Follow Ups: