Re: Re: Re: Oh My!! (Dillon Music)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jonathan Schwartz on August 07, 2003 at 09:21:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Oh My!! (Dillon Music) posted by Arnold S. Gottlieb on August 07, 2003 at 00:48:29:

Actually, I didn't buy an instrument yesterday....as much as I wanted to. A purchase of a $3500+ tuba (my first) just doesn't happen that fast. I plan to get back into shape for a couple of more months, and visit again in December.

As far as the instruments....Matt led me through a tutorial process which focused first on optimum bore size and how I sounded with each. Once we determined the right range, we narrowed down to a couple of instruments: a rotary Miraphone and a piston King. The Miraphone sounded terrific. The brass King sounded great. The silver (identical instrument) didn't. Go figure.

Because I knew that I wasn't really trying to make a decision yesterday, I didn't focus on specific model numbers....just the fact that some felt and sounded better than others. A revelation.

For reference, my experience is limited to playing a single instrument back in HS...whatever they gave me.

I am now enlightened.

Follow Ups: