Re: Re: Re: Tastes...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Science? on August 06, 2003 at 11:26:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tastes... posted by DZ on August 06, 2003 at 08:26:32:

I've thought a lot about the focal distonia question as it relates to equipment use. I wonder if there has been a formal study of this question. For that matter, I never even heard of this condition till about 3 years ago. Players of past generations must have had this -- did they call it something else?

As regards general matters of science and brass playing, I wonder if it might be time to revisit the entire issue. I'm sure much work has been done by many since the time of Arnold Jacobs, but I haven't seen any real "compendium" of resources, although I haven't searched that intently. I always was taught according to the ideas and principles of Mr. Jacobs which I now strongly advocate as a teacher myself. But, arean't his ideas and philosophies based on direct scientific data he collected? The reason I pose this question is that I think it might be time for some group of brass players to start asking all the fundamental questions all over again; from the beginning. The idea is not in any way to discount the ideas we all hold near and dear, but rather to use science as a tool for understanding a lot of the complex physical issues which often arise and usually have no clear scientific explanation. Think of the changes in science over the past 30-40 years. I think it would be a great project to find a way to connect some brass players with some really top-notch scientists/physicians and see if we can explore some old issues through a new lens.

Follow Ups: