LowBrassDorianModeScaleRoutinesUploaded

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on August 05, 2003 at 20:19:38:

My series of scale routines directed specifically towards each of the various low brass pitches now has arrived at the Dorian mode.

Previous uploads have been:

Major
Minor (pure, melodic, harmonic)
Mixolydian

The practise principles are described in the prefaces of the first parts of the series.

From the preface of the Dorian routine:

"The Dorian mode is interesting for present day musicians, because it is the scale mode, which is played over the minor seventh chord in the very frequent jazz chord sequence of ii7 - V7 - I.

By now this series of routines offers scale and chord material for playing over the basic vamp of I - vi - ii7 - V7 in all keys:

Major
Minor
Dorian
Mixolydian

The purpose of training the Dorian mode is not the one of learning the fingerings or slide positions. These are exactly the same as in the corresponding major and pure minor modes. The real purpose is to train the ear to recognise the sound of this mode and to relate it to its melodic and harmonic functions when performing real music. Whether playing as a soloist or as an ensemble member any musician will improve by transcending from the level of striving to hit the written notes to the level, where every single musical detail is related to horizontal and vertical frame of musical reference/understanding.

These routines may be studied on your own with good results. Yet the guidance of a good teacher certainly will promote a deeper understanding of our western diatonic scale system."

You can find the scale routines via the link given below here. Please respond to the Welcome-mail as soon as it arrives.

Klaus Bjerre of Denmark
Retired teacher

Free music files in .pdf format:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterBBb/files/
(Approved membership required)

Index over brass instruments gallery and catalogue scans:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterPublicPhotosIII/files/
(Open and free for all membership recommended for better view options.
Alternative log in option for picture viewing:
Yahoo identity = brassphotos03 and password = public)

Follow Ups: