Re: Doug Elliott Mouthpieces for euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Carter on August 05, 2003 at 13:03:22:

In Reply to: Doug Elliott Mouthpieces for euphonium posted by Mike Brooke on August 04, 2003 at 13:14:27:

I have noticed that the Elliot mpcs have a smaller throat than the usual large bore tenor or bass trombone mouthpieces. It's my experience that they are easy to focus, but this focus may make them sound bright a loud dynamics. Elliot doesn't make custom throats or backbores, under his system if the largest backbore doesn't give you a dark enough sound, try a deeper cup (which will also have larger throat and backbores available) or larger rim too. Two other alternatives are possible. The first one is to have a reputable shop enlarge the throat and possibly the backbore of the Doug Elliot. I had this done to a couple of Doug Elliot Mouthpieces by Schilke with very good results. Another is to have an existing mouthpiece that you like modified to take the Doug Elliot rim. I have a Bach 6 1/2 AL that has had the rim cut off, and the cup threaded to take a Doug Elliot rim. Works well, with a broader sound than the nearest Elliot size. I plan to have a Bach 4G modified to take a Doug Elliot rim as well.

Follow Ups: