Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A serious but strange short survey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on September 02, 2002 at 07:55:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: A serious but strange short survey posted by Rick Denney on September 01, 2002 at 22:08:55:

I've been in only a few cases where photographs were used in evidence. Photos are getting farther from being used as eveidence of a crime, and more of a device used to verify or clarify the scene or evidence.

For example:

Most of my cases are battery or assault cases where we photogragh injuries and damage to property. When the injuries are light bruises and small cuts, we know that the lightest charge will usually be supported, even if we take the best photos. When we can photograph a victim in surgery getting deep cuts sewn together, then we have a suspect in a deeper charge.

Arson and accident scenes are the points where your statements stand the truest. A picture can go from showing no damage to double the damage if just the slightest movement.
I tried to photograph a 3 foot dent in a white car one evening, and couldn't get it to look like anything more than a dent of about 4 inches.

We try our best not to rely on our photographic techniques. They can be very misleading.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: