Re: A serious but strange short survey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on September 01, 2002 at 13:19:43:

In Reply to: A serious but strange short survey posted by Rick Denney on August 31, 2002 at 16:21:10:

1. No in the most literal sense, but I believe most people would think yes it was a RETOUCHED photograph - or maybe a "hand colored" photograph (are you old enough to remember these)

2. Yes

3. Same as #1

4. Yes

5. Yes (I think Ansel Adams did this and most people think they're photographs.) Since "Photograph" basically means "drawing with light" I'd have to say that anything you do with light has to count as a photograph

6. Well, it's a computer enhanced photograph. But strictly maybe a no.

I think it's largely a matter of degree - if you don't distort the original to the point of making it into some totally different image then I think you can call it a photograph

Anyhow I actually vote for a sliding scale of photographic-ness.

What would you call a National Geographic picture of a leopard sleeping in the branch of a tree with the African plains in the background? Would it be something different if the "photographer" had actually taken the picture of the leopard in the San Diego zoo where it was much easier to photograph and then transported it to Africa with the magic of Photoshop?

Follow Ups: