Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: H.S. Brass Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on September 01, 2002 at 06:15:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: H.S. Brass Bands posted by Rick Denney on August 31, 2002 at 16:32:25:

Admittedly, I picked tuba partially out of necessity, but also out of a desire to be different. (there were my reasons...) There was something totally cool about being such a minority, I remember when I was in HS, (way back when it seems,) in the bands I played in there were very, very few girls playing tuba. (And in the typical JH / HS mentality, yes, it let me meet boys (; )
But seriously, when someone today tells me I should play the flute because my tuba is almost as big as I am, or asks me if I am "going camping" as I walk across campus with my tuba, I am pround to educate them that I wouldn't have it any other way. Since switching officially to tuba about 4 years ago, (always played it, just not exclusively) I have had a sense of identity like i've never had before. I think it does make a difference, and being a lover of all things psychological, I do believe that we sometimes (of course there are exceptions) choose our instruments / specializations with influence from our identities. I think some of us will always break the mold, and some of us will always follow the pack. In the end, I think our choices don't matter as long as we can all fight through the hard times to achieve what we believe in and desire. Isn't this what being a musician is about?
Just a side note, on a switch, on a recent trip to DC, Heather became one of the people who now "kept me playing tuba," and actually got me thinking about MY career. So I thank her too for being a great influence and a great friend who supports my quests. (I'm playing catch-up to her now! (: )
Anyway, we're all tuba players, no matter what the reasons. I am happy where I am, regardless of how I ended up here. I think we all get that, and that is what makes our community great.
end of rambling,
-lisa

Follow Ups: