Re: Re: Quintet Competitions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kyle on August 30, 2002 at 13:01:52:

In Reply to: Re: Quintet Competitions posted by I think... on August 29, 2002 at 23:44:54:

The University of Georgia did have a brass quintet competition that alternated annually with a competition in Narbonne (sp?), France. The last competition held at UG was in the spring of 2001. My understanding from trading emails with Fred Mills (the trumpet teacher at UG and coordinater of this competition) is that 1) future competitions in France have been put on indefinte hold because of money issues and the 2) there will be no competition in Georgia this coming spring (2003). However, Mr. Mills indicated that he was interested in keeping the competition going, so he is shooting to have one sometime during the spring of 2004. If the 2004 competition does get off of the ground, I would encourage everyone who reads this list and is in a quintet to consider going because it is a GREAT event (even if it isn't the largest ot most prestigious). In addition to the competition aspect, there are master classes and some wonderful concerts (in 2001 St. Louis Brass, German Brass, and Rhythm n' Brass played in addition to several that I can't remember off the top of my head). If youve never been, it is definitely worth a look.

My long $0.02.

Kyle

Follow Ups: