Re: Re: Total Commitment by a tuba player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on August 30, 2002 at 07:10:45:

In Reply to: Re: Total Commitment by a tuba player posted by Wade (long post!!) on August 29, 2002 at 15:06:30:

This pposting makes me remember 3 servicemen who are great musicians, and who give it all for the service.

My high school band director is a member of the Army National Guard. He started his service quietly while I was in high school, and never became showy or high minded about it. He joined the 106th out of Little Rock, Arkansas. He is now a batallion sergeant major in the Arkansas Army National Guard, and brings credit to the guard, and to Arkansas Band Directors for his service to his country and state.

When He moved to his next band director's position, he joined another AANG bandsman, who also happened to be the highest ranked sharpshooter in the Arkansas Guard. He coinsistently scored top 10 in National shooting events, and also kept his modesty and decorum in a state of humility.

My third serviceman is a high school classmate of mine who at one time studied to be a band director, but choose to pursue the Army as a career. As fine musician, he would have been a credit to his field as a euphonium or trumpet player. Where he is now, I donnot know. Chances are that his family does not know either. He serves with a special forces unit that regularly leaves the country.

My respect for those in uniform is great. I wish that medical problems earlier in my life would not have disquialified me from service when I was in ROTC in college. It especially hurts when I am now clear of the disqualifiers, but am too old to return to service.

My best to all that serve, wherever they serve.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: