Re: Willson Piston F Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl H. on August 29, 2002 at 21:12:16:

In Reply to: Willson Piston F Tuba posted by Tom B. on August 29, 2002 at 14:35:17:

Rick makes some good points about the Willson (large, big sound for an F, open low register) but as someone who has played one for several years, I have a few gripes as well.

First, using the ME 1 mouthpiece (which sounds great in all registers) I have to work too hard to play above the staff. The Willson is extremely built, but seems very heavy for an F--it's significantly heavier than my Nirschl 6/4! The relationship of leadpipe/bell/body and my size (6'2" 210) results in my left hand/wrist supporting most of that excessive weight.

Last and worst (sorry Rick), the intonation drives me nuts! Maybe because it's a very early edition (#10700), but the open partials aren't even close. Worse, within a partial, notes a 1/2 step apart don't have similar intonation characteristics, sometimes the opposite! It is almost impossible to play the G-flat just above the pedal. Through the use of alternate fingerings (e.g. second-space C 4th valve and the B 2 and 4) and constant use of the first valve slide I can make it work, but it's tiring on several levels (see weight above).

Semi-full disclosure: I use the Willson and Nirschl as my "weapons" in my current position. When I sat down to record the Koetsier Quintet and Slavonic Dance No. 8 (blatant plug: Navy Band Music for Chamber Winds CDs include brass quintet, brass quartet, and tuba-euph quartet) I (foolishly?) chose the Nirschl. But before you think I have a hangup about intonation, know that my personal horns are both Alexanders (CC and F) and I love my Alex F for solos and quintet. It has much better pitch than the Willson, and it sings in the upper register. Also, the dreaded Alex hole below the staff feels worse than it sounds, at least on tape.

On the other hand, several of my colleagues play Willson E-flats and love them!

The Willson F is a versatile, high-quality horn with a sweet sound: it's problems make me feel like I'm racing the Indianapolis 500 while towing a yacht!

Karl "who has some problems of his own" Hovey

Follow Ups: