Re: Mouthpieces for 52J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on August 28, 2002 at 14:39:24:

In Reply to: Mouthpieces for 52J posted by Matt on August 27, 2002 at 22:29:56:

Matt,

I played my 56J with a Helleberg for several months with pretty good results. Then at ITEC, I met with Doug Elliott, who matched a mpc. to me and my horn. It is drastically different from anything I've played on in that it is HUGE. I suspect that it wouldn't work for you though, in that I have a very wide jaw structure. (sis was right all those years - I do have a big mouth) Doug fit the mouthpiece to my physical characteristics, and the tendencies of a 4/4 CC tuba. I have never been more pleased with my sound.

There is no way that anyone can tell you what the "right" mouthpiece is for you. I can make suggestions all day long, but at the end of the day, I still don't see you or hear you play. I can't tell if you're sinking too much of your embouchure into a too-small mouthpiece, or compromising your sound with one that's too big.

The best bet is to get together with Doug at a convention sometime (I think he's usually at the big Texas convention), and let him take you through the selection process. It was one of the most productive hours I ever spent on my horn. For now, what you have in the PT's are excellent mouthpieces. I would concentrate on making the best sound you possibly can with them, and save the money until you can get with Doug. It will shock you at how much better you can sound with a mouthpiece that is suited particularly for you.

SD

Follow Ups: