Re: Practicing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on August 27, 2002 at 17:51:44:

In Reply to: Practicing posted by Brandon Ostrom on August 26, 2002 at 23:58:09:

This is to expand on the Finale idea... I take it one step further and sequence my accompaniments. I run my laptop through the stereo and then play along with it. It is difficult to "sync up" rubatos without using SmartMusic, but for timing purposes it might help to stay in the same tempo anyway. Not only will this improve your time, but it will help you to become familiar with the piano accompaniments to solos.
If you're really creative, something I started doing recently was "compose" duet accompaniments to some etudes. I let the computer play those, and obviously the computer is not going to err on the tempos! It's also good for having a "duet partner" when there's no one else who wants to play at the moment. (This has also significantly helped me on matters of intonation.)

This is all of course assuming you have access to a computer. If nothing else, maybe record some things onto CD if the computer isn't handy.

Follow Ups: