Re: Re: Practicing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 27, 2002 at 08:03:59:

In Reply to: Re: Practicing posted by Sean Chisham on August 27, 2002 at 07:14:18:

I like that approach!

It also can be applied and tweaked slightly differently. Back in the days while I was playing 1st horn, not because of great proficiency, but because being the best locally, the local chamber orchestra should play Beethoven's Violin concerto with the then top soloist of my country.

The 3rd movement themes are all built on horn calls even in the solo part. But the hard part (at least for me) was those damn ppp entries after long breaks in the 2nd movement. One can hear the G by intervals from the 1st violin part, but that was not good enough to keep up my confidence. So I started mentally singing the last real G hit in violins. Worked beautifully every time.

I am all for flexibility over long note practise. Almost. So when that concert came up, I had to extend my practise into the late hours, where practising is not accepted in my home.

As I have the scores of Bach's orchestral suites as well as a recording of them, I put the LP on the turntable, mounted the headphones, opened the score, and buzzed along with the viola part on the horn mpc. Also a good training in reading alto clef. And the BVC went very well. No cracked notes, only a full tutti short high D concert, that did not speak at one of the 2 concerts.

Of course this is not directly applicable for the board relevant instruments. However buzzing along with the double basses in the 2nd and 3rd movements of Beethoven's 5th symph might be a good starting point.

Klaus

Follow Ups: