Most colorful mouthpeices!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on August 26, 2002 at 21:29:39:

I'm currently enjoying a PT-65 on my PT-15 F tuba and a PT-88 on my PT-6 CC tuba with a great deal of success. I don't see myself ditching this setup for most ensemble type stuff but I would love to find something more colorful for solo situations. Something that favors a sound with lots of depth, has 'layers of sound', a heroic/brilliant bigger than life character to it, some bark down low yet perhaps a bit of that halo/warm effect when appropriate.

I suspect that the solution will be different for each horn. I'm not so concerned with intonation. These horns don't seem hypersensitive to mouthpiece changes in that regard. In a dream world the rim would most resemble that of the PT-65 or a little sharper. Unconcerned about width so much. It would be nice to keep a relatively open response. The PT-65 has a tendency to stuff up when I get too rambunctious. I hate that.. no it isn't the horn that is stuffing up the PT-65 is just a bit too easy to create a solid buzz on.

Don't be afraid to suggest that I should just spend more time in the practice room. ;b

Any thoughts/suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph

Follow Ups: