Re: Besson Vs Meinl Weston EUPHS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Time to chime in... on August 23, 2002 at 16:36:13:

In Reply to: Besson Vs Meinl Weston EUPHS posted by Bob on August 23, 2002 at 10:20:48:

At one of the high schools at which I worked, I had them get 2 silver MW 451s. I was SO incredibly disappointed in the BAD tuning problems the horrible inconsistant responce and the valves had an amazingly slow action even after a bit of work with some 2000 grit sandpaper. I am not a euphonium player myself - but I can made one sound good and if it can be played in tune, I can do it - and I COULD NOT for the life of me get a tuning solution worked out. I could go into detail if you want but there was SO much that was bad about those two horns. I even had three more brought in to see I had gotten hold of some bad ones and it was amazing - the three horns I had brought in had the SAME EXACT problems as the other two. I eventually had to send them back and got the new Miraphone 1258 which were only 300 each more than the Meinls and was VERY pleased with them - I can even describe the main problem very quickly - The 2nd line low Bb tend to be some flat if you are not paying attention but is very managable - thats it! Any other problems never presented themselves to the point of concern.

As for Bessons - I like them and have kids that sound great on them. They do have inconsistancies but is you find a good one - its a good one. If I were to asked by a school my opinion on what 4vlv comp euphs to get I would tell them to either spend the $6000 and get a Hirs Exclusive or spend 3100-3200 and get a Miraphone 1258.

Follow Ups: