F Helicon to rent/loan??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Rubin on August 22, 2002 at 11:33:06:

Hey Kids,
I'm writing on behalf of my old pal Sasha Alisanovic, tuba player with the amazing Boban Marcovic Orkestra of Serbia. If you're not hip to Boban you folks need to check him out, and especially Sasha. The Marcovic Okestra is the most famous (and IMHO the best) Gypsy Brass band in the former Yugoslavia, and they consistantly win the top prizes at the famed Guca Brass Band Festival . Sasha is the only tuba player to ever win the Golden Trumpet award, normally reserved for trumpeters. The man is a complete monster, no really, just incredible. For his deep, funky lines that pretty much drive that band he's been called the "Bootsy of the Balkans."

Well it turns out that they're making they're first ever US trip in late September, and Sasha doesn't have a hard case for his horn, just a canvas cover. Other gypsy brass bands I've met have actually CHECKED THEIR HORNS AS BAGGAGE in these covers and I'm sure you can imagine how playable they are after such an experience.

Anybody out there in our community have a nice, free blowing F helcion they could make available to the best damn tuba player I ever heard? Please lemme know.

Otherwise, do yourself a big favor and look around for any of thier 8 CD's, the latest on Pihrana Records of Germany , or the new Frank London's Klezmer Brass All Stars CD "Brotherhood of Brass," where I had the dubious honor of having to match his lines, an octave below on my BBb horn. I'll post tour dates when I get 'em.

Thanks kindly!

Follow Ups: