Re: Dilema: Please help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 22, 2002 at 07:12:42:

In Reply to: Dilema: Please help posted by PJ on August 21, 2002 at 21:17:07:

If you have been asked to play there the situation is different from if you had asked to be allowed to play there.

With your mail address it would be a fair guess, that you own or have access to a euphonium. Just take that instrument and play the baritone part on it until your cash-strapped situation has been relieved.

If the band does not have a Brit style baritone to let you play on, they will be much better off having you playing the part on a university grade euphonium, which I will assume is a 4 valve compensator, than on any low priced temporary solution. Be it in the shape of an old YBH 201, which is very easily overblown, or on one of the older piston emulations of a German Tenorhorn. Like the one on the picture (sorry for the higjacking, Jim), that I recently discussed with its owner here on this board (please see the link).

As for baritones I myself am a very picky person. I have a B&H Imperial, that I bought from new back in 1967. When it comes to format of sound and to bandwith of dynamics I have tested nothing comparable to it. Whereas one easily can find something that is easier to handle intonationwise.

I have tried old Willson and Sovereign. The latter as 3 valver as well as 4 valver. Both compensators. Both very easyblown, but with the personality and the range of expressivity of a cheap keyboard bought in Toys-R-Us. The maker boasts its lightweight bell, which exactly is its problem.

I have not tried the Courtois 3 valve compensator, but I have stood next to it in an ad hoc band. It sounded very good.

Klaus

Follow Ups: