Re: Re: Re: Re: Horn-Size Relative to Player-Size

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on August 22, 2002 at 06:57:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Horn-Size Relative to Player-Size posted by John Swensen on August 21, 2002 at 11:53:34:

John,
I agree with you on this, and feel that people can be quite adaptable if they want to. While I lived in San Antonio, I remember it being reported that Michael Sanders who then played with the S.A. Symphony sat on the San Antonio Phone Book(in performance, even!) to reach the leadpipe of his Alex. He was not of large physical stature, but he played the stuffing out of that Alex, which was a rather physically demanding horn. On the other hand, I'm 6' 1", 200lbs, and have been measured with a lung capacity of just over 7.5 liters. At that time I played a 3/4 Rudolf Meinl CC. I don't think either of us was playing the optimal instrument for our characteristics then, but we adapted. I believe Mr. Sanders has been playing a Yorkbrunner for over 15 years now, and I have been playing large-bore BAT's for about the same period of time. Setting the instrument into vibration is the important thing, and if you can find an instrument that makes it easier for you, all the better.
Lee Stofer.

Follow Ups: