Re: Tuba Part for "Pictures"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric on August 21, 2002 at 22:06:57:

In Reply to: Tuba Part for "Pictures" posted by Puzzled on August 21, 2002 at 21:36:29:

As you may know, Pictures at an Exhibition was originally wirtten as a piano piece written by Mussorgsky as a tribute to his dead friend, a painter. The piece depicts different works by the pianter with a Promenade between each picture and ending with the fabuluous Great Gate of Kiev. Later arrangers such as Tushmalov, Ravel, and Stokowski have arranged this work for orchestra, a setting in which it sounds unusually at home. Most of us are familiar with the Ravel arrangement and the famous (in-famous) Bydlo solo section given to the tuba, but this is by no means the only setting. Stokowski's arrangement gevies the Bydlo section to the f-horns. While I am not familiar with the Tushmalov arrangement, I would urge you to do some research to the Piano Score and the Stokowski arrangement. If memory serves, Stokowski was trying to recreate and improve Tushmalov's older arrangmement which used Russian orchestration including the full family of saxhorns and russian bassoons.

Hope this helps, I am sure others here can add more.
Eric

Follow Ups: